Tuesday, December 8, 2009

the reality without the show

There is this thing about minors pretending to be adults- psychologically, a complex well defined and explained scientifically. How do we expain a situation where, in a reality show, the minor girl or boy emotes, sings, articulates, behaves so adult.... to say the least, its embarrassing. And by my reckoning, not legalized

I call it exploitation- I also call it taking advantage. I do not call it talent, or artistry. Neither do I call it fair- it is inhuman.

Please for Gods sake, and in the name of sanity, stop this. Let children be children; let them particpate in matters that concern their own age group- let them not behave precoccious; please allow them their childhood. I cannot think of my five year old daughter emoting to a raunchy bollywood item number just as I cannot think of my sixteen year old singing and acting out a nursery rhyme..... do we understand? Its simply incongruous- I think thats the word!

I can still not enjoy a ten year old singing a romantic number - I feel all bunched up inside when I hear him sighing and wailing- yes, thats what I call it. Or a sexy cabaret/bar number is so hard to tolerate when a little girl renders it with all the vocal nuances it requires. I agree that its their talent- but lets then put it to good use. Lets be our age. Lets celebrate all the growing up each one does by respecting it.

No comments: