Friday, January 15, 2021

New Year Resolution

A short story


Neena swore with irritation. The doorbell wouldn’t stop ringing. She opened the carved teak front door to find the security guard standing outside, tapping his feet impatiently. He seemed agitated.

“What is it? Why can’t you press the button just once and then wait for someone to come open the door?” ruffled, she asked.

“Madam, in the lobby someone is sitting with a gun, wanting to see you or your husband.” He was a big made man but looked so scared and vulnerable just now.

“Gun? Whatever for? You are watching too many movies I think…” Neena’s voice trailed off as she saw the man behind the guard. The guard caught her look and turned. He also looked surprised to find that the man he had seated in the reception lobby at ground level, obviously had followed him and now was standing right behind him in the 8th floor lift lobby. The man looked a perfect gentleman, but for the gash on his forehead giving him that roguish appeal. And a high necked black t shirt which added to the impression.

“Hey! What are you doing here? When did you come to town? How are you? Come on in.” Effused Neena.

“But….bbbbut…. madam, he…he…. gggg.” the security guard couldn’t stop blabbering incoherently.

And then she noticed. The steel was peeping out from under his jacket. Horrified she turned to step in but not before the gentleman whom she seemed to recognize, had planted a firm foot in the door jamb and she could not close it. The point of going inside to be safe was totally lost because with his foot in the main door, the intruder had access to the whole apartment.

“Listen Shaan, stop your drama and come in. Is this some crazy way of saying Happy New Year? Who walks around with guns peeping out from under their jackets?” Neena was disbelieving what she was seeing.

“Who do you call Shaan? I am not Shaan and I don’t know you. Get that husband of yours out of hiding and allow me to deal with him.” The stranger rasped. Strangely, his voice did not go with his persona. And he had this funny habit of touching his throat and adjusting the high neck every few minutes, especially when he spoke. He stood rooted and wouldn’t come in but had his foot in the door.

“Oh, but Shaan, we have met in my husband’s office when you were recovering from larynx surgery. Don’t you remember? You were being discharged and my husband was counselling you about lifestyle changes post the surgery?”

Her mind was whirring. “He looks weak, though it has been over 3 months since his surgery, I remember. There was a lot of discussion around his treatment etc. because he is a Radio Jockey and his voice is his biggest asset. And he surely has another name; but most people and his fans know him as RJ Shaan.”

“Shaan, I love listening to your broadcast everyday. So while I do not know your real name, allow me to introduce myself as Neena Ashwin, wife of Dr. Ashwin, your ENT surgeon.”

“Just tell me where that criminal is, and I will blow his throat into unrecognizable smithereens…” he rasped, gasping for breath. “Then I will advise him about his lifestyle changes.”

“And now he is so angry too. What could be the matter?” Neena wondered. Her mind was working furiously. A practiced clinical psychologist, in addition to a degree in Law, she tried rule number one. Calm him down. 

“So may I ask you to come inside the house while I go fetch my husband? But you must hand over the gun to the security man and collect it from him when you leave my home. I assure you it will be safe.” She tried to sound cold and indifferent, but she was surprised her voice wasn’t steady. She could sense that the man opposite her meant business.

The man she called Shaan smiled cynically as he walked into the sun lit living room and the aroma of fresh Darjeeling tea assailed his olfactories.

“Nice home, great style. Not surprising considering your husband auctions the Hippocratic oath at the drop of a hat, nay hammer?” Long sentences came slowly and somewhat painfully. Neena attributed it to angst and disdain about something she couldn’t understand. “Why should a flourishing ENT Surgeon and Consultant auction the Hippocratic oath? Do oaths get auctioned? Why is he saying this? Is he being sarcastic? Clearly all the anger is directed at my husband? What has Ashwin done?”

“The gun”, she said firmly. “Drop the gun or give it to security guard.”

“No way. You people fooled me once, never again. I am here to get my answers, not to obey your orders. Now is that man coming down or shall I go upstairs?” He cocked his head at the ornate staircase leading up to their private living area and started walking towards it.
Neena almost died. “I have never heard anyone speak like that to me or about my husband. And I won’t have you talking like that. In fact, if you walk one more step towards the stairs, I will call the police.”

The handsome man with the scar on his forehead turned to the guard who was mute till now, a part of the furniture. “Will you go away or shall I shoot you down? Go and do your work, don’t waste your time with these vicarious doctors. They are not worth any loyalty.”
The guard looked beseechingly at Neena. “Go away. Didn’t you hear Shaan telling you to go focus on your duty? I will handle this.” She admonished the poor confused guard.

Shaan looked quizzically at Neena. “I know madam that you are a psychologist. Don’t try your stunts with me. You will be sorry. And my gun stays with me. Know that I can call the police if I decide to.”

“Call me Neena,” she said. “And let’s talk while Ashwin is getting ready. I will ask him to hurry up. Meantime, would you like a cup of tea?”

“You will not tell him that I have come to see him. Just tell him to be quick to come down. And I will not have a drop of water in this house. Who knows what you will do next?” 

Neena was wracking her brains for a clue- “What is he talking about? Ashwin tells me mostly whatever goes on at his hospital. And lots goes on, because Ashwin is a well reputed ENT surgeon running a reasonably big hospital and while he has been caught in controversies once or twice about exorbitant fees and promiscuous interns, there has never been a slur on his competence. His skill at work is well known; impeccable. I am so proud of him. In fact, he has so many young doctors seeking residency in his hospital because of this professionalism and excellence.”

“So then, what is this guy saying? I honestly cannot understand. Wish I could; at least I would try and placate him before Ashwin comes down to meet him.” She had already sent him a message on phone about Shaan being here and was praying hard that he sees it. He did, and sent back a small hurriedly worded text note which gave her some background.

Shaan had come to Ashwin’s hospital with a very mild problem- Vocal cords dysfunction. After Laryngoscopy and other diagnostics, a small surgery was suggested. Small, but critical, especially since the doctors were dealing with the voice box of a Radio Jockey, a profession where voice is money.

She noticed him watching her very intensely and speculatively. Calling out to Ashwin, she went towards the stairs, but with one swift movement, the handsome intruder had blocked her way. “Like I said, don’t try stunts.” He said, his eyes spitting fire. Neena retraced her steps. Just then Ashwin’s steps sounded on the wooden staircase. Oh dear!

Ashwin came down and stood still. Shaan levelled his gun and stood still too. Neena lost her tongue. And then Ashwin started speaking.

“I know it was wrong, all wrong. But what could I do? I was urgently summoned to attend to the VIP in my hospital. It was an emergency but had I been more careful or let’s say, mindful, I could have assigned someone else for VIP attendance. Or I could even have  rescheduled  your operation to a time when I could personally attend to you. Sadly, the Resident who took my place could not be successful, and what happened, happened. Tell me, how can I undo the damage?”

Shaan lunged at him then stopped short, the steel once again gleaming from under his jacket hem. “Undo the damage? Give me your voice box then.” He spat out. Then walked out. Neena ran after him but he was quick to get into the lift and descend. He flung something in the dustbin as he was exiting the lobby. She ran to check and found a toy gun- he had been scaring the daylights out of them all with a look alike! Tears welled up in her eyes. She saw the Security guard was equally shaken. It was as if the selfishness and the opportunism of a supposed care giver had assumed humongous and unpardonable dimensions.

Neena went up to the 8th floor for the last time. Ashwin was rooted to where they had left him. He stood watching her, as she gathered her laptop bag, searched in her drawer for her Lawyers degree, and started walking out. That was one hard decision. A resolution on Jan 01, 2021. Made in a split second but to be followed as long as Neena lived.

“All the best,” whispered Ashwin. 

No comments: